Sunday, February 10, 2013

Bucket Filler

To start, I wanted to say that I found Tom Rath's presentation very interesting and eye-opening. It's nice to get an outside perspective and look on some things that I realize that I might do. It really made me wonder, am I a bucket tipper in any way? Or do I do my best to fill other people's buckets? Ever since watching the video, I've been trying my best to keep this whole philosophy conscious and present on my mind.

I think a lot of people say or do things that may tip over other people's buckets without even realizing it. I know many think of some things as a joke, but I think it's healthy to think about things a little more seriously before potentially hurting someone, which could lead to them being less productive and putting a downer on their day. Over the weekend, I've been starting to think about how Tom said to lead by example and how that will create a butterfly effect onto others by possibly inspiring them to become more positive and uplifting.

Overall, my most favorite thing that Mr. Rath talked about was focusing on someone's natural talent and following that path because that is what I've based my life plan on. It was nice and reassuring and hopeful to hear another person say to lead with what you're naturally good at. I've always questioned myself with what if I can't make a successful career out of my dreams? I have no regrets and I don't look back but it was a great push of motivation to hear this come from someone else. I always look for things to keep me moving along and to keep me pushing forward with what I love.

It was interesting to hear Mr. Rath talk about how giving someone a gift, even if it is expected can still not be as good as any surprise. Many gifts are expected and foreseen but a surprise couldn't be seen coming and can really brighten someones day and help fill their bucket, even if it's a little thing like a hug. I've never put a connection between surprises and expectations before. Food for thought!

I know Tom's whole presentation was about a business oriented environment but I like to think of all of his ideas as life lessons and something you could take into any situation. I've also been thinking a great deal about when you give someone a compliment, to make sure that you are very specific because that shows you really paid attention to something that someone has done and given it thought, rather than just recognized it.

Hopefully, I am a bucket filler. The only thing I worry about is that I unknowingly say or do things to tip people's buckets. I feel like I go out of my way, rarely, to fill people's buckets, but from now on I'm going to give people more random compliments and do random things to help people out and make their day a little better. You never know if someone is having the worst day of their life and what if you doing something random and sweet for them could change something from horrible to  even a little better?

I loved every minute of Tom Rath's speech and I'm so glad that I was able to stumble upon it. I believe it's very important to take these lessons to heart and I'm definitely going to carry them with me throughout the years.


2 comments:

  1. Although Tom Rath's speech was presented in a business environment, it really relates to people. Businesses and schools are made up of people. I always say "I teach people, not subjects." Business have employees and customers....people are a businesses biggest and most important resource. So what he said relates to people and our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Caitlin Clancy and I am doing at iQuest down at San Ramon. My biggest passion has always been animals but for the past 4 years one of my main hobbies was music. I am more into writing but becoming a famous artist who gets to play my own music will always be a dream. Your passion for it sounds amazing and with your dedication I think you will do great things. Your thoughts about being a bucket filler are perfect and spot on as well. I hope you accomplish everything you want to and wish you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete